The purpose of this award is to equip the learner with the skills and understanding to install, configure and maintain computer systems. Learners will also learn about network and cloud systems. Learners will be suitable for employment in a range of sectors. Students can progress to the QQI Level 6 IT Systems course and to degrees in Computer Science and Network Engineering.
Principal areas of study
- Computer Systems Hardware
- Networking Essentials
- Operating Systems
- Maths for IT
- Virtualisation Support
- Programming and Design Principals
- Work Studies
Features of this course
- Students complete a three week block of work experience in IT related businesses
- Networking for home and small business
- Practical experience in computer and network maintenance
- Access to industry standard software and networking hardware in a dedicated computer lab.
- 6M0695 L6 Computer Systems and Networks- Liberties College
- TU716 L7 Networking Technologies – TU Dublin City Campus
- TU713 L7 Computer Engineering – TU Blanchardstown
- TU655 L6 Networking Technologies (learn & work) – TU Blanchardstown.
- Network installation and maintenance in home computer usage and in small business networks.
- IT Technician roles in large IT and service companies
This is an occupation in high demand, with strong employment growth, a high volume of vacancies and evidence that employers are having difficulties filling vacancies.