This level 6 course is aimed at those who wish to work with young people and children in mainstream and intellectual disability support services, including specialist units and hospital schools. The course is for who have successfully completed a level 5 major award in a relevant area e.g. childcare, education, special needs assisting, community care, healthcare or social care and offers a progression opportunity at level 6 with employment prospects.
PRINCIPAL AREAS OF STUDY
- 6N2226 Inclusive Education Practice
- 6N1975 Disability Awareness
- 6N2225 Differentiated Learning and Instruction
- 6N1946 Work Experience
- 6N2191 Leadership
- 6N2209 Mental Health Awareness
- 6N1957 Special Needs Assisting
- 6N4705 Therapeutic Play Skills
(Modules offered may be subject to change).
FEATURES OF THE COURSE
- Lectures/Classes three days per week in Liberties College
- Two–day placement each week in classrooms in Special Schools or Mainstream Education.
- Training in typical SNA duties:
- Assisting children with everyday practical tasks – e.g. clothing, feeding, toileting and hygiene
- Educational assistance e.g. helping the child with writing or typing
- LÁMH Module – Students are trained in the use of LÁMH, a manual sign system used by children with intellectual disability & Communication needs.
- Lundy, NDA – Disability Awareness Training, TULSA – Child Protection Training, HSA online training course, Manual Handling & First Aid
- Garda vetting is a prerequisite for work experience on this course. Learners will be interviewed for any work placements available through the College.
- Garda vetting for work experience.
“This course has helped me decide what career path I want to take. I have learned a lot from children with disabilities and gained a lot of experience in my work place. I will share my knowledge and experience when I go back to my own country Mauritius.”
- Progression opportunities through the Higher Education link scheme
Relevant Level 5 Major Award
Aptitude and interest in working with young people and children.
Garda vetting is a prerequisite for work experience on this course.