Our course in Social Entrepreneurialism gives learners the opportunity to identify socio-cultural, political and economic contexts and challenges, to explore their creativity and developing business acumen to design and implement solutions through practical project work and educational experiences.
Principal areas of study
- 5N2702 Working with Groups
- 5N1901 Understanding Community Development
- 5N0777 Community Development Practice
- 5N0690 Communcations
- 5N1356 Work Experience
(Modules offered may be subject to change).
- 5N2708 Social Justice Principles
- 5N1837 Political Studies
- 5N1951 Entrepreneurial Skills
I completed the Youth Studies course in Liberties College in 2015 and progressed to Maynooth University where I did the Youth and Community Level 8 degree and graduated in 2018. I worked for 6 months in a youth project in Bluebell and was offered a Youth Justice Worker position in south Finglas, where I grew up. I'm currently working with the local Garda Youth Diversion Project which aims to divert young offenders away from going down the criminal route. I'm also involved with youth mental health, drugs and alcohol projects.
I found the transition to Maynooth University from Liberties College a seamless one, and believe that the PLC course prepared me very well for the challenges of a third level degree, practically and academically. The award from Diageo was a great honour, and the state of the art laptop was a huge boost to me, at an important stage in my life.
Join Youth & Community
A Day in the Life for a Youth Community Student
Youth Studies 2022
A Potential Student Learns More
Features of this course
- Students address, both theoretically and practically, the personal and social issues that impact on young people and their communities e.g. drug abuse, social exclusion, poverty and unemployment.
- Specialist workshops
- Garda vetting for work experience
- Students who complete Work Experience in a CDYSB Project and achieve a full award may qualify for CDYSB Bursary Grant.
- TU Blanchardstown – TU792 L7 Community & Youth Development
- TU Blanchardstown – TU991 L8 Applied Social Studies in Social Care
- NUI Maynooth – MH116 L8 Community & Youth Work
- NUI Maynooth – MH107 L8 BSOCSC Social Sciences
- UCD – DN700/SBU3 L8 BSC Social Sciences
- UCD – DN700 L8 BSC Social Justice
- UCD – DN750 L8 BSOCSC Social Policy and Sociology
- Carlow IT – CW717 L7 Professional Social Care Practice
- Dundalk IT – DK767 Community & Youth Work
This Level 5 course is a foundation from which successful Graduates may progress to third level through the higher education links scheme or take up employment