The pre-apprenticeship in software development program will equip students with a grounding in software development and the associated technologies, as well as the necessary skills and learning to progress onto the FIT apprentice in Software Development.
Principal areas of study
- Fundamentals of Object Oriented Programming
- Maths for information Technology
- Work Experience
- Web Authoring
- Software Architecture
- Operating Systems
- Personal and Professional Development
- Computer Systems Hardware
This is an occupation in high demand, with strong employment growth, a high volume of vacancies and evidence that employers are having difficulties filling vacancies.
Features of this course
- Focused employability workshops with an expert from FIT.
- Work in a dedicated software lab
- Skilled tutors with industry experience
- Optional access to Microsoft certifications at no extra cost
- The ICT Associate Apprenticeship is the new National Apprenticeship programme for all tech enthusiasts wishing to pursue a career in Ireland’s buoyant IT sector. FIT is the national coordinator for Level 6 Tech Apprenticeships. The programme enables participants to “earn while they learn” in leading tech companies. To avail of this opportunity, students opt for the Level 5 Pre Tech apprenticeship course in Liberties College. Upon completion, they are eligible to apply for a two year apprenticeship with a tech company.
- Under the scheme, a number of approved tech companies recruit apprentices on a two year apprenticeship programme. Candidates can expect to earn a wage starting at €250 per week during their training.
- 1-6 Months – Apprentices attend full-time off-the-job training and development
- 7-12 Months – On-the-job and off-the-job training and development (3 days work /2 days off-the-job training and development)
- 19-24 Months – On-the-job and off-the-job training and development (4 days work / 1 day off-the-job training and development)
- General College Entry Requirements
- This course is suitable for mature students
- An interview will be required for all candidates. The programme seeks motivated tech enthusiasts with an aptitude and positive attitude to work in the ICT sector.
- Some candidates may qualify for grants such as BTEI, VTOS or SUSI.