Special Needs Assistant – Mainstream Education
CertificationQQI Level 5
This is a one year specialist course training students to work as Special Needs Assistants (SNAs) in Primary and Secondary School Classrooms. Liberties College has offered courses in the training of SNAs since 1991.
PRINCIPAL AREAS OF STUDY
- Special Needs Assisting
- Understanding Special Needs
- Equality and Disability
- Work Experience
- Intellectual Disability
- Care Provision and Practice
- Safety and Health at Work
- Human Growth and Development
(Modules offered may be subject to change).
FEATURES OF THE COURSE
- Lectures/Classes three days per week in Liberties College
- Two–day placement each week in classrooms in Mainstream Education or Special Schools
- Training in typical SNA duties:
- Assisting children with everyday practical tasks – e.g. clothing, feeding, toileting and hygiene
- Educational assistance e.g. helping the child with writing or typing
- LÁMH Module – Students are trained in the use of LÁMH, a manual sign system used by children with intellectual disability & Communication needs.
- Manual Handling & First Aid
- Garda vetting for work experience.
“This course has helped me decide what career path I want to take. I have learned a lot from children with disabilities and gained a lot of experience in my work place. I will share my knowledge and experience when I go back to my own country Mauritius.”
- 6M2218 Level 6 Social & Vocational Integration – Liberties College
- TU791 L7 Applied Social Studies in Social Care – TU Blanchardstown
- PC404 L7 Applied Social Studies – Professional Social Care St. Patricks College, Carlow
- TU794 L7 Early Childhood Care & Education – TU Blanchardstown
- MH107 Social Science – Maynooth University
- Special Needs Assistant in Mainstream, Primary & Secondary schools
- Special Schools
- Day Care centres and Clinics
- Personal Assistants
General College Entry Requirements