Youth Studies & Community Development
CertificationQQI Level 5
A course suitable for people seeking initial training in Youth and Community Work and those with some experience who wish to undertake structured training to develop and consolidate their skills. This programme is supported by City of Dublin Youth Services Board and The National Youth Council of Ireland.
Principal areas of study
- Substance Use Issues in Youth Work
- Social Justice Principles
- Personal Effectiveness
- Word Processing
(Modules offered may be subject to change).
- Young People in Society
- Working with Young People
- Community Development Practice
- Understanding Youth Work
- Work Experience
I completed the Youth Studies course in Liberties College in 2015 and progressed to Maynooth University where I did the Youth and Community Level 8 degree and graduated in 2018. I worked for 6 months in a youth project in Bluebell and was offered a Youth Justice Worker position in south Finglas, where I grew up. I'm currently working with the local Garda Youth Diversion Project which aims to divert young offenders away from going down the criminal route. I'm also involved with youth mental health, drugs and alcohol projects.
I found the transition to Maynooth University from Liberties College a seamless one, and believe that the PLC course prepared me very well for the challenges of a third level degree, practically and academically. The award from Diageo was a great honour, and the state of the art laptop was a huge boost to me, at an important stage in my life.
Join Youth & Community
A Day in the Life for a Youth Community Student
Youth Studies 2022
A Potential Student Learns More
Features of this course
- Students address, both theoretically and practically, the personal and social issues that impact on young people and their communities e.g. drug abuse, social exclusion, poverty and unemployment.
- Specialist workshops
- Child Protection Training in conjunction with the City of Dublin Youth Service Board
- Garda vetting for work experience
- 6M2218 QQI Level 6
- CW717 L7 Professional Social Care Practice – Carlow IT
- TU792 L7 Community & Youth Development – TU Blanchardstown
- MH116 L8 Community & Youth Work – NUI Maynooth
- DK767 Community & Youth Work – Dundalk IT
Employment in a variety of local authority, charity & voluntary settings. Youth & Community roles can include family support, building youth life skills, event planning, group liaison (e.g. with performing arts), social justice advocacy and education.