10wk Maternity Care Support Course
CertificationQQI Level 5 minor award 5N3746
Wednesdays 18.30 – 21.00 & 2 Saturdays 09.30 - 14.00hrs
Tuition will focus on the care of mother and baby, supporting midwifery teams, knowledge of infection control and maintenance of a clean and safe environment in the maternity unit. For assessment purposes, the student will be required to demonstrate competence in practical skills in a number of procedures normally carried out in a maternity unit. In addition, two written assignments are required.
5N3746 Maternity Care Support
Topics include; physical, mental, emotional and social needs of mother and baby, infant nutrition, infection
prevention and control, assisting the midwife to care for mother and baby and the family unit, and assisting the
midwife during physical examination of mother and baby. Carry out care for general and specialist equipment such as
beds, mattresses and cots, etc., and explain the terminology used in the maternity unit.
Assessment will consist as follows; Two written assignments at 40% together with Skills Demonstration at 60%
FEATURES OF THE COURSE
- Tuition provided by experienced midwife
- Demonstrations in mother and infant care
- Demonstrations in specialist equipment, i.e., hospital bed, cot, baby equipment and hospital trolleys
- Small class size to facilitate one to one tuition
Institutes of Technology and Technical Universities operate a Higher Education Links Scheme to their undergraduate courses in Nursing and Midwifery for applicants with QQI Level 5 qualifications in Nursing Studies and or Healthcare Support.
Upon completion of the part-time course in Maternity Care Support students will attain a QQI Level 5 Maternity Care Support 5N3746 (Minor) award, which when combined with the QQI Level 5 (Major) award Healthcare Support 5M4339 or the QQI Level 5 (Major) award Nursing Studies 5M4349 will qualify you to apply for work in a Hospital as a Healthcare Assistant working in a Maternity Care facility.
There are no minimum mandatory qualifications required in order to gain entry to the 10wk Maternity Care Support course.
NOTE TO APPLICANTS:
PLEASE BE ADVISED THIS MODULE DOES NOT PROVIDE WORK EXPERIENCE NOR DOES IT QUALIFY YOU TO WORK IN A MATERNITY UNIT UNLESS YOU ALSO HAVE THE HEALTHCARE ASSISTANT, QQI LEVEL 5 AWARD.
APPLICATION AND ENROLMENT:
- Application is by enrolment.
- Enrolment will take place online. to commence enrolment applicants are advised to visit and register at www.mit.enrol.ie/libertiesae/
- Tuition fees are paid by visa debit or credit card payable to City of Dublin ETB.
- Applicants will be required to enrol and pay the full fee, prior to commencement of the course.
Information correct at time of printing (23/11/22). The college reserves the right to make changes to course details.