Wednesdays 19.00hrs to 21.00hrs for 22 weeks
Information correct at time of printing. The college reserves the right to make changes to course details.
This course offers students the opportunity to develop their skills in ceramic making techniques. Students are encouraged to work outside of existing comfort zones. There will be an emphasis on hand building techniques providing students with ideas for new and interesting ways to build with clay and experiment with decoration and finishing techniques.
Students will be encouraged to experiment with clay as a sculptural medium by joining made components playfully together; considering form and function, texture and decoration.
- Join thrown components
- Learn about kiln stacking and firing
- Make clay extrusions
- Build with and make creative changes to extruded forms
- Apply decorative coloured slips, oxides and one off glaze recipes
- Experiment with advanced glaze techniques
- Investigate and try out raku firing techniques
- Make press molds
- Explore texture through the use of sprig and press molds
FEATURES OF THE COURSE
- Tuition provided by experienced ceramics teacher
- Access to ceramic workshop
- Basic equipment/ materials supplied
For health and safety reasons students should wear closed footwear (no sandals or flip flops) and be aware that clothes may get messy although aprons will be provided.
This course caters for students who have some previous experience in pottery. It is recommended that in order to gain most from this course that students have a basic to good understanding of clays & glazing. Application to the course is by enrolment Course
APPLICATION AND ENROLMENT:
- Application is by enrolment.
- Enrolment will take place online. To commence enrolment applicants are advised to visit and register at www.mit.enrol.ie/libertiesae/
- Tuition fees are paid by visa debit card payable to City of Dublin ETB.
- Applicants will be required to enrol and pay the full fee, prior to commencement of the course.